There's a lot of firsts that President Barack Obama can claim, like being the first POTUS from Hawaii, the first to publicly support same-sex marriage, and of course, the first African American to hold office. One of his coolest firsts, though, is that he's the first American president to ever brew his own beer in the White House. And thanks to a Redditor who filed a Freedom of Information Act request, two recipes have been released so that home brewers everywhere can give them a try.
Both the Honey Porter and Honey Ale are made with honey from the first ever beehive on the South Lawn of the White House. Assistant Chef Sam Kass, who oversees the brewing, says that "the honey gives the beer a rich aroma and a nice finish but it doesn't sweeten it."
As far as equipment, both recipes require a couple of big pots to boil the beer and a primary and secondary fermenter. The beers each get a pound of honey, although I doubt any of us will be using the 'White House Honey' they call for.
Once you've (im)patiently waited the couple of weeks they take to ferment, close your eyes, take a sip, and imagine you're in the Oval Office. And be sure to let us know how it tastes!
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades